The Bethel Park Police Department will be hold a Crime Watch Meeting on Monday 9/29/2014at the Bethel Park Community Center at 6:30 PM. The purpose of this meeting is to talk about Crime Watch activities, recruitment, and to discuss current criminal activity. We hope all of you will consider attending and bring a guest!
There will be a guest speaker from the PA Attorney General's office. Agent Phillip Little will be speaking about scams and about the Attorney General's Office. I hope to see a lot of you there!
October 20, 2014 @ 6:30 pm
November 17, 2014 @ 6:30 pm
December : still open
August 26, 2014 Crime Watch Agenda
Pledge of Allegiance
- Recruitment: Currently at approximately 1121. Also if you move out of the area or change email addresses, please be sure to notify me so I can make the change.
- Community Day is Saturday 9/20/14. This year the focus for the police department will be to recruit new Crime Watch members. If you have some time to volunteer to help recruit, I would greatly appreciate the help. A sign-up sheet is out on the table. There will also be the annual Police VS Fire softball game. It will be on the upper field where it was played last year at 3 pm. The field is closest to IMS Middle School.
- The 9th DEA sponsored “National Take Back Initiative” will be held on Saturday 9/27/14 from 10 am-2 pm. We now have a box located at the Bethel Park Police station that you can bring unwanted, unneeded, or expired pill form medications.
- There were 4 scholarship winners for the Sgt. Charles Bonczek/ Bethel Park Police scholarships. Dominic Bertan, Chris Waseman, Ben Zamborsky, and Skyler Stewart were the winners. The scholarships are funded from the proceeds from the Steelers/Police Pals Benefit Basketball game, and are available to any senior student from Bethel Park who attends the Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program and fulfills the requirements.
- I am very excited about the upcoming Citizen Police Academy and Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Programs. I have obtained commitments from some new speakers, including representatives from: PA Game Commission, PA Attorney General’s Office, ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms), SHACOG CIRT Team, Allegheny County Sheriff’s office, District Justice Ron Arnoni, Allegheny County District Attorney Investigator, as well as Secret Service, PA State Police, DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) This will most likely be my last Academy class, so I am hopeful for a large class.
- The Badges and Bats challenge softball game between Mt. Lebanon and Bethel Park Police on August 13 was huge success. Over $12,000 was raised for The Special Olympics. Bethel Park and Mt. Lebanon Police Departments were also presented a state of the art speed monitor trailer from the sponsor of the event, Allstate Insurance. Allstate insurance, and the two communities will be working together to do programs to make our communities a safer place.
- Allstate has donated a speed trailer/message board to the police department. This item is the state of the art technology that does traffic studies as well while it warns everyone about their speed. You will see this all over the place in coming months.
- Allstate will be sponsoring a program called “Reality Rides” which is a safe driving simulator program. The program will be available to anyone who would like to participate on Friday 10/3/2014 before and during the Bethel Park /Mt. Lebanon High School Football game. N Please come out to participate in this great program. The program will be made available to High School students during the day.
- Judge Ron Arnoni will be sponsoring a Social Media awareness program called “Darker Side of Technology” on Wednesday September 24, 2014 at 7:30 pm-9 pm at the Bethel Park High School auditorium. I will be at this presentation and I encourage all of you to attend.
- Do we want to do a Crime Watch Dinner again this year? If so, does anyone have a specific theme? Are there any volunteers to help organize this? Last year’s dinner was held in October and that would be a good time to plan for again this year.
- There have been incidents of Criminal Mischief throughout Bethel Park over the past several weeks. On Irishtown Road extension, someone knocked mailboxes off of their posts, through rocks in the driveway and at one house shot paint balls at the house. Several Community Parks were damaged. Acts of criminal mischief have been on the rise, so be aware of your area.
- School is open again, so please be on the lookout for our children. If you see anything suspicious, please call us so we can check it out. If you feel the children in your area are doing something unsafe while waiting for the bus we would like to know that as well. Bottom line, the children will be out there in the morning and afternoon, drive carefully!
- Providing good detail if a victim of a crime: If you are a witness to or a victim of a crime, there are certain things that will help tremendously in the apprehension of the suspect. For people, a good facial description, clothing description and unique things like a tattoo, necklace, watch, brand of shoe, will help.If a car is used in a crime, make model and color are important, but a registration plate is the best.Remember; only obtain this information if you can do so safely.Do not put yourself in harms way to get this information.Your safety is most important.
- I will have a member of the PA State Attorney General’s office to speak at a future meeting. A date has not been finalized but we are hoping that the speaker can be at the September meeting.
- The next meeting will be September 22, 2014 at 6:30 pm at the Bethel Park Community Center.
Questions, Comments and Discussion.
The Police Pals Food Drive begins Monday 12/1/2014 and ends on Wednesday 12/17/2014.We will sort and pack the food at Frawley Hall at St. Val’s Church.
The adopt A Family program will take place again this year.We will have a meeting in late September or Early October to discuss the program.