The Bethel Park Police Department will be hold a Crime Watch Meeting on Monday 8/25/2014at the Bethel Park Community Center at 6:30 PM. The purpose of this meeting is to talk about Crime Watch activities, recruitment, and to discuss current criminal activity. We hope all of you will consider attending and bring a guest!
Future Meeting: August 25, 2014 @ 6:30 pm
May 19, 2014 Crime Watch Agenda
Pledge of Allegiance
- Recruitment: Currently at approximately 1113. Also if you move out of the area or change email addresses, please be sure to notify me so I can make the change.
- Possibility of an August trip to Washington DC. This would be to tour some sites and to just have a relaxing weekend. Looking at the week of August 8, 9, & 10. If interested, please send me an email or see me after the meeting. Some sites we will visit: Arlington Cemetery, Washington Monument, War Memorials, Museum at Dulles Airport, Indian Museum, Air & Space, and Smithsonian’s.
- Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, and USC will be offering a bicycle safety course to all youths. The Rodeo will be on Saturday May 31, from 10 am-2 pm at the Kohl’s store at Village Square Mall. There will be a safety course, helmet safety presentations and other activities. You can get a coupon to get a free Safety Helmet as well.
- The Memorial Day parade will be on Monday May 26, 2014 at 9 am. The parade will start at the Municipal building and end at Bethel Presbyterian Church. I encourage all residents to come out and support those who served and protected our freedoms. (Recognize Veterans in audience.)
- South Park Shops (Murdoch Family) will again sponsor the Child ID cards for the students in the fall. A check for $2000 was received to cover the cost of materials.
- Walmart issued a grant of $2500 to support the various programs that the Police Department offers. The money will be used for Citizen Police Academy
- The 8th DEA sponsored “National Take Back Initiative” was held on Saturday 4/26/14 from 10 am-2 pm. The result from this collection was 7 boxes containing over 200 pounds of drugs safely disposed of.
- There are 4 scholarship winners for the Sgt. Charles Bonczek/ Bethel Park Police scholarships. The scholarships are funded from the proceeds from the Steelers/Police Pals Benefit Basketball game, and are available to any senior student from Bethel Park who attends the Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Program and fulfills the requirements.
- Do we want to do a Crime Watch Dinner again this year? If so, does anyone have a specific theme? Are there any volunteers to help organize this? Last year’s dinner was held in October and that would be a good time to plan for again this year.
- There have been incidents of Criminal Mischief throughout Bethel Park over the past several weeks. There have not been a lot of reports, however, this is a good time to make everyone aware that with warm weather and school being out, and these incidents get more frequent.
- IRS Scam: Several people have had phone calls where the caller claimed to be an IRS agent. The caller told the resident that they had back taxes and they needed to pay them quick or an arrest warrant would be issued.
- Please also keep an eye out for “Gypsy” type activity as this is the time of year it usually happens. Roofing, paving/sealing, and yard work are the most common scams. If someone stops and offers you a good deal on any type of “service”, Please contact 412-833-2000 and report the activity so we know that this activity is present in Bethel Park.
- Providing good detail if a victim of a crime: If you are a witness to or a victim of a crime, there are certain things that will help tremendously in the apprehension of the suspect. For people, a good facial description, clothing description and unique things like a tattoo, necklace, watch, brand of shoe, will help.If a car is used in a crime, make model and color are important, but a registration plate is the best.Remember; only obtain this information if you can do so safely.Do not put yourself in harms way to get this information.Your safety is most important.
- Tonight’s speaker is Magistrate Ron Arnoni. I thought it would be a great opportunity for the Crime Watch to meet the new Magistrate. Magistrate Arnoni and his wife have been Crime Watch members from the beginning.
- The next meeting will be August 25, 2014 at 6:30 pm at the Bethel Park Community Center.
Questions, Comments and Discussion.