The Bethel Park Police Department will be hold a Crime Watch Meeting on Monday 5/19/2014 at the Bethel Park Community Center at 6:30 PM. The purpose of this meeting is to talk about Crime Watch activities, recruitment, and to discuss current criminal activity. We hope all of you will consider attending and bring a guest! Newly appointed Magistrate Ron Arnoni is hoping to be able to speak at the May meeting.
Future Meeting: August or September 2014
April 21, 2014 Crime Watch Agenda
Pledge of Allegiance
- Recruitment: Currently at approximately 1109. Also if you move out of the area or change email addresses, please be sure to notify me so I can make the change.
- Guardian Protection has teamed with the Bethel Park Crime Watch again! Guardian Protection has provided the funding to purchase flashlight/stylus/pens from Myron Promotional Products. These pens will be utilized as rewards/ and items to recruit new members. We thank Guardian for their support of the Crime Watch program!
- Bethel Park, Mt. Lebanon, and USC will be offering a bicycle safety course to all youths. The Rodeo will be on Saturday May 31, from 10 am-2 pm at the Kohl’s store at Village Square Mall. There will be a safety course, helmet safety presentations and other activities. Look for more details in the coming weeks!
- The Police Pals/ Steelers Basketball game raised close to $7,000. Thank you to everyone that attended the game or sold /bought raffle tickets! The winner for the TV was Priscilla Seifert, and the Grill Winner was Lisa Winowich.
- South Park Shops (Murdoch Family) will again sponsor the Child ID cards for the students in the fall. A check for $2000 was received to cover the cost of materials.
- The Citizen Police Academy and Law Enforcement Apprenticeship Programs just concluded with the graduation dinner. Fourty –Four adults and Fourteen students graduated from the Academies. Applications are available for next year now.
- The 8th DEA sponsored “National Take Back Initiative” will be held on Saturday 4/26/14 from 10am-2pm. This is your chance to get rid of expired, unwanted, or unneeded medications. There will be 2 drop off locations, the Community Center as well as the Highmark Direct store on North Highland Road.
- Thefts from Vehicles: Please lock your doors of your vehicles.
- Grandparent scam: We have discussed this scam in the past; however it seems to be making a comeback. A caller with decent amount of information obtained from the internet, calls and states that this is their grandchild and they are in jail and need bail money. They claim they are in another state or another country and that the grandparent has to act fast to keep them out of jail. The scammer tells the victim where to get the money order as well.
- Be cautious driving in residential areas. The nice weather will bring out walkers, bikers and children playing. Please follow the rules of the road!
- Speeding on Logan Road, Clifton Road, and South Park Road. Officers are being detailed throughout the Municipality to look for vehicle code violations.
- Ron Arnoni has been sworn in as our new District Magistrate. I want to welcome Magistrate Arnoni to his new position and let you all know that Magistrate Arnoni and his wife are Crime Watch Members! In fact we are working on having Magistrate Arnoni speak at an upcoming meeting, hopefully the May meeting!
- Tonight’s speaker is Tom Zabielski of Guardian Protection. He will be speaking about residential alarms.
- The May Meeting date will be Monday May 19, 2014 at 6:30 @ the Bethel Park Community Center. At this meeting I am hoping to have newly appointed District Magistrate Ron Arnoni. Magistrate Arnoni is a Crime Watch member and has been for several years. I will update you when I get a firm commitment that he will make an appearance. This will be the last Crime Watch meeting until August or September.
Questions, Comments and Discussion.