**** The Crime Watch Meeting scheduled for Monday 2/16 has been canceled due to the cold and snowy weather. The Meeting has been rescheduled for Monday 3/2/15 at 6:30 pm at the Bethel Park Community Center! I hope to see you all there! ****
The Bethel Park Police Department will be hold a Crime Watch Meeting on Monday 3/2/15 at the Bethel Park Community Center at 6:30 PM. The purpose of this meeting is to talk about Crime Watch activities, recruitment, and to discuss current criminal activity. We hope all of you will consider attending and bring a guest!
March 2015 Crime Watch Meeting
Pledge of Allegiance
1. 1078 Members in Crime Watch, but have 14 email accounts that have stopped working.
2. Introduction of New Police Chief Timothy C. O’Connor. Chief O’Connor comes to us from the City of Pittsburgh Police Department. Chief O’Connor was a Commander at zone 5, the busiest Zone in the city.
3. Cars continue to be broken into. Unlocked cars are still the target. Lock the doors and remove valuable items from your vehicle. Remember, most vehicles have garage door openers in them. Failing to lock the doors on your vehicle is like leaving your house unlocked.
4. Retail thefts have been frequent. Stores in the Village area and all grocery stores appear to be targeted. We have made numerous arrests.
5. Traffic Concerns: Our traffic department has been working diligently to run details in different areas that had the speed monitor at one time. The way they have been trying to work this is that they put the monitor out and then after removing the monitor they do a detail after a few days.
6. There continue to be several scam phone calls being received. The most frequent ones are the IRS scam, Grandparent scam, Microsoft Windows, and the US Justice Department. In both cases, the caller speaks with a prominent foreign accent and they use scare tactics. If you receive one of these calls, please report the call to 412-833-2000.
7. Snow Removal: Please make sure to clear the snow from your sidewalks if you have sidewalks. Also make sure you clear snow from the fire hydrants located in your neighborhood. A little reminder: Please try to NOT park on the roadways when there are periods of snow. Street parked cars make it very difficult for snow removal by public works. This has been very difficult lately due top the constant bad weather.
8. Street Lights: Please report street light outages in your neighborhood. . Call your power company and report the light out. For First Energy (West Penn Power) call 1-800-720-3600 and for Duquesne Light call 412-281-4285. The information you will need to correctly report the outage is the closest address where the pole is located, and possibly the pole number which is located on the pole, visible from the road.
9. Swift Reach: If you make any changes to your phone numbers, please make sure to make the change by going on the website, www.bethelpark.net, go to the Swift Reach tab and clicking on the link to join the Swift Reach Program. All emergency information is disseminated through the use of the Swift Reach Notification System.
10. Emergency number: People continue to call 911 when we have our own emergency dispatch. The number is 412-833-2000. The difference between the two is response time. Calling the 412-833-2000 number gets you the help you need much faster than 911.
11. House numbers: House numbers are very important. They should be located at/near your front door and should be able to be illuminated at night. There are many people who have their house numbers in places that are very difficult to see. Please get the word out in the neighborhoods that this is very important to a quick response.
12. The Police Pals/ Pittsburgh Steelers Benefit Basketball game has been scheduled for Friday March 6, 2015 @ 8pm. There will be a pre-game activity as well starting at 6pm. That game will be announced at a later date. Tickets are $7 each and are available at Evey Hardware, Eat N Park on 88 and at the Police Department Records room from 8 am-4 pm Monday thru Friday. This is my last event and I really would like the event to be a success. I hope you all consider going to the game!
13. There is a raffle for a 65” LG LED HDTV being conducted in conjunction with the Basketball Game. Tickets are $1 per ticket and I would appreciate any help selling the tickets.